Sunday, April 13, 2008

1st Lesson

I made it through my first guitar lesson. The format is going to suit me just fine. The plan is not to walk through beginner lesson books like Mel Bay or Hal Leonard, but to work on getting me to play songs as soon as possible. So, I learned two chords (Em and D-6/9F#) which are two finger chords. The very cool thing about these two chords are the fact that they are the only chords in the song "A Horse With No Name" by America (one of my favorite songs).

My instructor has been playing for many years, has a few albums out, and is also into Christian music. He taught me a couple other chords that are used in many songs, so this week I am working on G, D, and C. I think 90% of Neil Diamond's songs use these three chords, so my brother will be pleased!

I spent the past couple nights working out "This Is Love" (Terry Butler/Mike Young), "You Are So Good To Me" (as done by Third Day), "Communion" (Third Day), and "You Are Worthy of My Praise" (Jeremy Camp). There are some books and DVDs at the library I have put on hold to supplement my lessons with, so I'm psyched about absorbing as much as I can.

My brain is already changing. I typically will either sing or watch the drummer play during the worship set. Today at church was different. I found myself watching all four of the guitar players looking at their hands and checking out techniques. Hopefully the light will pop on in my head (and hands) and playing will eventually be second nature to me.

No comments: